Various Artists GSoC project

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Mar 31 20:45:28 UTC 2009

Michael Pujos wrote:
> Jeff Mitchell a écrit :
>> Album: Crazy Techno vol 2
>> Album Artist: Ministry of Sound
>> Artist: TechnoDude
>> Track Title: Blowing Your Mind
>> Featuring: John Blaze
>>
>> This isn't a far-fetched example by any means -- in fact, it's quite
>> common -- but clearly "John Blaze" belongs in TPE2, not "Ministry of
>> Sound".  So where do you put "John Blaze" if you've filled TPE2 with
>> "Ministry of Sound"?  Will anyone show it if you put it in TCOM or TOPE?
>>
>> There is only one purely cross-player solution to the Album Artist
>> problem in ID3, which is, don't do it.
> In you example above, i'd put John Blaze in a custom tag (TXXX frame)
> since there's no standard frame for the "Featuring" credit.

Which proves my point.  Now you're putting information in custom tags,
which are totally fine for one player, but are not cross-player
compatible (unless they hack in support for each others' frames).

>>  ID3 sucks, but the right way to
>> fix it is to form an industry group to hammer out a newer version that
>> fixes these problems.
> This won"t happen ever: ID3V2 2.4 is a 9 year old standard and most
> software / hardware players do not handle it correctly.

I was trying not to dishearten the poor guy.  :-(

> No problem putting as much info as you want in the filename, but it's
> useful to also have that info in tags for sorting / displaying purposes.
> The simplest solution IMHO is to follow the WMP/itunes de-facto standard
> (TPE2), or the foobar2000 one
> (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Encouraged_Tag_Standards).
> foobar2000 maps Album Artist to the first  defined tag in this list:
> "album artist" (custom frame), "artist", "composer", "performer". For
> Album Artist, it ignores TPE2 which can serve other purposes (like it's
> real signification).

You should actually read my previous email.

--Jeff