GoSoC 2009 UPnP Proposal -draft 3

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:22:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> You shouldn't put your personal opinion in the situation explanation
> part of your proposal BTW, but I assume you won't put it in the final
> version anyway.

Of course you should, its your proposal. :)

>> Goals – I now understand the DLNA classes better so this is much more
>> concise
>>
>> [http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/devices/]
>>
>> DLNA – DMP
>>
>> The most useful for amarok and its user base would to be able to play
>> content off of networked DMS. This is also probably the least complicated.
>> This is the primary goal of this project.
>>
>> DLNA – DMS
>>
>> Also useful would be the ability to share the content of the amarok library
>> as a DMS allowing other DMPs and DMRs to play the content. The secondary
>> goal of this project will be DMS functionality. An amarok goal for this part
>> would be to update the amarok library on a remote play.
>>
>> DLNA – DMC
>>
>> Useful to some users would be DMC functionality (those that have both a DMS
>> and DMR on the network). A tertiary goal of this project will be DMC
>> functionality.
>>
>> DLNA – DMR
>>
>> This is not ruled out for this project. This is only of use to people that
>> have a DMS and a DMC on the network and want to use amarok to render content
>> remotely.
>
> This would be very easy to implement in a script. In fact, I might
> attempt that as a small project to learn QtScript + the details of the
> Coherence DBUS-API myself. The other tasks are way more important and
> the DMP use-case needs to be top notch.

Scripts can't access DBus currently. Writing a kickass DBus QtScript
would actually make a decent GSoC project in itself, though maybe too
small.

Writing a QtScript API for Coherence would be simpler, and would allow
all scripts easy access to coherence functionality, which may result
in awesomeness that we haven't thought of.  Regardless its not very
simple.

Ian