The Amarok Bailout Bill

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 01:05:45 UTC 2009

Hey guys,
So I've fleshed out the idea a bit more and I've put my thoughts down
below. Just to make it clear this is just something I'm throwing out
there. We found ourselves in a bit of a bind with our current
financial position. Clearly there is a desire to, on some fronts, to
monetize Amarok. We already have commercial partners where tentative
deals are being negotiated, but nothing concrete (or guaranteed). We
also have the Magnatune initiative and the revenue stream from Amazon
via the covers.

Unfortunately our main source of funds, the annual roktober
fundraiser, can't ensure we cover all costs. First we had to have a
fund raiser in the first place, then we had to extend it because we
didn't meet our target. Our other revenue streams such as Magnatune,
while great also don't offer a lot of solvency in the long term.

Take Camp KDE for instance, it would have proven quite difficult to
cover the cost of our student developers up front (one of whom had to
fly in from the U.K.) if we wanted to. We still don't have the mac
developer machine we need, and if one is ever provided it looks like
it will be using out-of-pocket funds. Compounding this cash flow
shortage are our other developers and contributers who will need help
to go to upcoming conferences and developer sprints and you can see
that we're in trouble.

In lieu of another fund raiser (because you know people are going to
ask what we're doing with "all that money" we got) I propose that we
instead go full blown on capitalizing on amarok. We have a lot of buzz
right now in the windows and macintosh communities and I suggest we
capitalize on that. The idea is that we focus on these platforms (for
the time being) and test the waters with providing services to them
for a nominal fee.

Clearly the most obvious service we have to offer is amarok, both as a
platform (Soren's GTACFeat) and a service in itself (audio manager).
Running with this idea we have a bit of competition with a well
established base in the windows world (fubar2000, itunes and yes, even
winamp and WMP). On the mac side however, there is only itunes, which
as we all know, is a subpar product. Additionally the mac has already
built up, and is used to the idea of commercial indie software.

So there it is. I'm suggesting that we focus our currently limited
resources on delivering an awesome product to the mac platform. We're
actually almost there already and have only 3 major problems left to
deal with. _If_ we did commit to this, and put all our resources into
it and deliver an awesome product, I'm confident it would pay off
(quite literally) and allow us to then garner more exposure, then
users, then additional developers (remember when winamp said they were
going x-platform? if nothing else they got the press and developers
interested in helping).

Just to make it clear, I'm not suggesting we turn this into a closed
source operation. The beauty of OS X is that the users there are used
to paying for a service, provided that this service is "worth it".
We'd be providing both a service (binaries, > itunes features) AND a
platform (scripting interface, services, superior to anything else
available plugin architecture). And we wouldn't have to sacrifice much
except the other platforms (for a while).

Feel free to give your thoughts below.