Tracks only partially playing

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 28 19:28:57 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 20:09:24 Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 July 2009 18:45:53 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> >> Hey Anne,
> >
> > Hi ;-)
> >
> >> Do you have PulseAudio installed?
> >
> > Yes, and I've made sure that there is a viable output in fallback
> > position (using systemsettings).  Also, remember that they play properly
> > in kaffeine.
>
> Which kaffeine backend? (or are you using the unreleased KDE4 version?)

kaffeine-1.0-0.1.pre1.fc11.i586 - is that the one you are thinking of?
Anything you want me to check?

> >> Does changing the Phonon backend
> >> help improve the situation?
> >
> > Amarok didn't play at all out-of-the-box.  The Phonon backend was set to
> > xine. I changed it to gstreamer to get it working.
>
> Are you trying to play MP3s? If so many distros require an add-on codec
> package to play MP3s (GStreamer doesn't have this problem because they
> licensed the codec).

Yes, they are mp3s.  I have the codecs installed, and they do play correctly
for part of the track.  This is not just one track - I've tried several.  I
can play non-stop in amarok on the netbook, just not on this laptop.

It may also be relevant that I have the dreaded Intel ICH6 sound chip - though
again, everything else seems to be working, so I assume there's nothing very
wrong with the setup.

Anne