amarok-2.0.2 issues with Gentoo patched mysql to build libmysqld as a shared lib

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Apr 18 21:26:36 UTC 2009

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Modestas Vainius wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>> On 2009 m. April 18 d., Saturday 23:46:51 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
>>> Most of the bug reports are about the run-time behavior of both
>>> amarok-2.0.2 and amarok-2.0.90 with our updated mysql that builds
>>> libmysqld as a shared lib.
>> Rather than doing something as unsupported as creating a shared libmysqld.so
>> which you cannot maintain API/ABI of, link libmysqld.a to amarok executable
>> (but NOT sqlcollection plugin). Absolutely painless and you can forget about
>> all this -fPIC mess.
>
> Well, our patch has already been mentioned in the mysql bug [1] and we
> are talking to upstream about it. Furthermore, bundling a static lib in
> an application executable is not exactly Gentoo's "modus operandi".

Another thing to note -- this problem only exists when mysql is *NOT*
built with --as-needed, both with x86 and x86_64.  Yes, not.  Unlike the
vast majority of problems which break when it *is* built with --as-needed.

Diego, I think this is why you're CC'ed...everyone is a bit mystified,
and you're the expert...

--Jeff