Moodbar in Amarok 2.0?

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:47:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Daniel Winter <dw at danielwinter.de> wrote:
> And what relevance has that patent in the rest of the world? Europe, china and
> so on? (well I am not a lawyer so I do not know)

Look, I dislike US software patents as much as everybody else in the
FOSS world, but the fact stands that in at least some part of the
world (which is home to a large number of Amarok users) that code is
not going to be usable.  It might not even be permissible to store the
code on servers located in the USA.  These are both significant, but
not insurmountable, barriers to development and distribution.

If someone outside the US would like to take on maintaining the
moodbar, I don't think any of the Amarok developers would mind.  But
all I hear right now are inquiries about its status (or complaints
that it hasn't been ported), so I'm being a little pessimistic that
given the patent problem, I doubt that it will get picked up any time
soon.

--
Soren Harward