[Feedback] Amarok is so KDE

Ian Young ian.greenleaf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 02:45:44 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, vongola15 at libero.it <vongola15 at libero.it> wrote:
> Andrea sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> I know Amarok is the best app for kde and I love it, but it is not very
> good-looking in gnome because of kde libs.
> I may seem a fool, but is it so difficult to make the user choose to use
> gtk libs or kde ones?
> IMHO amarok would be fully adopted even in gnome.
>
> What do you think about it?

If I recall correctly, Amarok 2.0 is going to be a total redesign that
apparently will be native in Gnome and KDE. Or something to that
effect, I'm not clear on the specifics.

As a steadfast Gnome user, I agree that Amarok is frustratingly
KDE-ish.  It's a testament to how great of a program it is that I'm
willing to compile the massive kde-libs and whatever other cruft comes
with it just to get Amarok.  And there are annoying oversights, like
the KDE-feeling menus, the non-existent mail-notification that tries
to launch on a crash, and the fact that I have to click "delete
forever" when deleting files because otherwise it tries to use KDE's
trash system.  I dislike KDE's look and feel a lot, so it's
frustrating to have it showing up uninvited in what is otherwise a
fantastic piece of software.  I can't help but feel that some options
passed to configure and some #ifdefs would be fairly easy to code up
and would help a lot.

And yes, I realize I'm complaining instead of doing something about
it.  Someday I may dive into Amarok's source, but not today :)

Ian