Xine, amarok, kaffeine incompatibility

Orcan Ogetbil orcanbahri at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 21:27:14 UTC 2007

--- Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:

> On 7/16/07, Orcan Ogetbil <orcanbahri at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > There are third party repos for fedora that have
> the
> > proprietary codecs for xine, amarok etc. They work
> > quite well.
>
> Obviously not...

I compiled xine and amarok myself, as stated in my
original post.

Well, the precompiled packages really work consistent.
They produce the same freeze as the self-compiled
software does.

> > This is not a distro-specific issue. As pointed
> out in
> > my original post last month I went through many
> > different version combinations of xine and amarok.
> >
> > The problem is that amarok doesn't like the xine
> > configuration file kaffeine creates, possibly the
> > line:
> >
> > engine.performance.memcpy_method:sse
> >
> > I just wanted to tell that amarok freezes with the
> > above line in xine configuration.
> >
> > Orcan
>
> Amarok doesn't know anything about
> ~/.xine/xine-config, so your
> pulling a John Nash in seeing a pattern between the
> two. It is
> possible that Kaffeine is locking your soundcard or
> something though.
>
> Ian

-------------
[orcan at desitter orcan]$ ls .kde/share/apps/amarok/
albumcovers    contextbrowser.html  current.xml
submit.xml        undo
collection.db  covershadow-cache    scripts-data
transferlist.xml
[orcan at desitter orcan]$ ls .xine
catalog.cache
[orcan at desitter orcan]$ kaffeine&
[orcan at desitter orcan]$ ls .xine
catalog.cache  config
[orcan at desitter orcan]$ amarok&
[orcan at desitter orcan]$ ls .kde/share/apps/amarok/
albumcovers    contextbrowser.html  current.xml
submit.xml        undo
collection.db  covershadow-cache    scripts-data
transferlist.xml  xine-config

Let's say this is coincidence. What else should I do
to prevent the freeze? I don't want to blame on
kaffeine, because it doesn't freeze. Also the
amarok-freezes don't depend on kaffeine being on or
off. kaffeine cannot lock the sound card when it is
off (I mean when it is not even in the 'ps aux' list),
can it?

Orcan