Device View programming

Nathaniel Grocott ngrocott at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 07:47:16 UTC 2007

I like the view of the tracks on the ipod, but would like to have genre in
the Device View tree. I've looked at some source code files and see the
functions

IpodMediaItem
    *getArtist( const QString &artist );

IpodMediaItem
    *getAlbum( const QString &artist, const QString &album );

IpodMediaItem
   *getTrack( const QString &artist, const QString &album,
                                    const QString &title,
                                    int discNumber = -1, int trackNumber =
-1 );
        IpodMediaItem    *getTrack( const Itdb_Track *itrack );

from the files ipodmediadevice.h and ipodmediadevice.cpp.

Although I have not come to comprehend them, I wonder if  a getGenre could
be added. So it might start like:

IpodMediaItem
*getGenre( const QString &genre );

IpodMediaItem
    *getArtist( const QString &genre, const QString &artist );

IpodMediaItem
    *getAlbum( const QString &genre, const QString &artist, const QString
&album );

IpodMediaItem
   *getTrack( const QString &genre, const QString &artist, const QString
&album,
                                    const QString &title,
                                    int discNumber = -1, int trackNumber =
-1 );
        IpodMediaItem    *getTrack( const Itdb_Track *itrack );

What I'm thinking seems almost too easy.  Can a function be added to search
for genres, and then build the Device View tree starting from genre.

I've only started to look at some of the source code yesterday. It looks
very organized, but I'm sure I'm going to find my self stumped somewhere.
Such may be the case when deciding how to search for genres on the ipod.
Also if Amarok's source code is not clear, is there a simplified algorithm
model I could look at to understand how the Device  View is built. Further,
are any ipod programming specification available.