Changing an NFS mount and path...

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Dec 3 12:16:43 UTC 2007

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Cool. Fingers crossed on it "Just Working(tm)" :)

Good new, it seemed to work fine :)

Now on to the slightly annoying news, which is probably just down to my
setup.

I have a laptop and have server-based setups both at home and at work.

I have a "network" home folder as well as my local /home/colin on my
machine.

I mount the whole of the network /home on my laptop under /rhome. For
conveneince, at both home and at work the nfs server can be reached via
the name "nfs" (with domain expansion). Therefore my fstab contains
something like:
  /rhome nfs:/home nfs defaults 0 0

This works both at home and at work.

Now if I happen to run amarok when at work, it sees that the mount
exists and is correct with the same details etc., but sees that
/rhome/media does not exist and removes all the cache from the db. It
seems the statistics table data is safe which is nice, but still a bit
of PITA with full rescan required when I get home.

I presume there is no reliable way to determin and NFS server's UUID or
similar such that these two seemingly identical mounts are distinguished
from each other? Even putting an IP address in there may help here -
even if there is the possibility of name+mount point+IP address clashes
at different locations, it certainly reduces the window.

I remember when some discussion of NFS based UUIDs a while back on this
ML, but didn't follow it too closely at the time.

While poking about in the db structure it did seem a little odd to me,
with url being seemingnly redundant in a lot of places where uniqueid
seems to be the real key, but I guess this could be to do with streaming
metadata where url is good but uniquieid is unknown. </think outloud>

Col