[Feedback] DBus Interface Needed Enhancements

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sun Aug 5 07:34:07 UTC 2007

On 8/4/07, slaout at linux62.org <slaout at linux62.org> wrote:
> Sébastien Laoût sent a message using the contact form at
> http://amarok.kde.org/en/contact.
>
> While doing this program, I perceived some frustration in regard to the
> Amarok DCop API.
> I'm not mailing to complain, but to make constructive criticisms, and a
> proposal for a better DBus interface in Amarok 2, so that all new Amarok
> scripts and extensions can come to life, extending the Amarok user base,
> and making them happier.
[...]

Thanks for sharing your proposal, Sébastien. This kind of feedback
directly from an extension developer is very valuable for us.

As far as I can see all of your requests make sense. I think we will
try to implement them, step by step. One thing that I have been
wondering is whether we should try to keep compatibility with the old
interface - currently it's exactly the same as in 1.4, except that
it's a D-Bus call instead of DCOP - or if we should make a new start
and clean up the interface, remove inconsistencies and so on.

Currently I tend to prefer the former solution, as for one it's less
work, and second it makes it possible to port existing scripts very
easily. What do you think?

--
Mark