Amarok: Ugh!

Seb Ruiz me at sebruiz.net
Wed Sep 27 00:20:35 UTC 2006

Jeff -
Amarok doesn't handle the mounting of the ipod - we do provide this
option as a fallback for users with older distros or kde versions
which dont support automatic hal mounting.

We use the kde media-manager to detect when devices are plugged in,
and they are loaded immediately.  If you are not using KDE, then you
will have to connect to the media device manually (your distro/de
might still automount it though).  If you are running kde, open
kcontrol and check the services page to see if the daemon is running.

As for sound issues on FC/ubuntu.  Both of these distributions cripple
their users by removing all mp3 support.  For FC, you need to add the
livna repositories to your yum sources.  I would recommend getting
_all_ of amarok from those repos, not just the xine engine.  Also make
sure you grab the codecs.  See:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MP3_on_Fedora_Core_5

I've had more success with ubuntus, so try this:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MP3_on_Kubuntu_6.06

hth,
Seb

http://www.sebruiz.net/