Gapless playback

gregtr at ihug.co.nz gregtr at ihug.co.nz
Tue Sep 5 22:14:37 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to get gapless playback working with Amarok 1.4.2
and xine-lib-1.1.2 with a collection of classical music Ogg
Vorbis files.

It seems no matter what I do I still get short jerky gaps of
about 0.2 seconds appearing between tracks.  I know it isn't
a problem with the files themselves since ogg123 plays them
perfectly, though curiously mplayer and xine exhibit the
same problem as amarok.

Back in the days when I used XMMS I could get around it with
a 100ms crossfade between tracks that would tie them
together nicely, but I haven't managed to get the amarok
crossfader to do anything remotely resembling a decent
crossfade.

I get the exact same symptoms on Amarok 1.4.2-1 under Fedora
Core 5 and Amarok 1.4.1-3 under Debian Sid.  A shame since
in every other respect Amarok seems to be an excellent music
player.

Any help would be appreciated,
Greg