Amarok performance tuning

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Thu Nov 30 13:52:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 14:08, Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 November 2006 12:52, Ljubomir Simin wrote:
> > I've came up with an idea of writing an article about speeding up Amarok.
> > This comes mainly from experience with my old laptop. So, could you
> > please evaluate this actions, and rate (from 1 to 3, 1 - (almost) not
> > noticeable speed improvement, 2 - minor, 3 - major speed improvement)
> > and/or comment them:
>
> *bump*
>
> I realize this is not an easy topic, but I'm sure the community would
> benefit from such article/tips. Anyway, I'm going to investigate, no matter
> if on the easy or the hard way :). So, what tools do you suggest for
> profiling performance? I'm going to try with sysprof for now.
> Stay tuned.

The reason why I had not replied yet is, most of these items simply have no
effect on performance. There's really only two tips for getting a noticeable
speedup:

1) Don't use giant playlists.
2) With a huge collection, use MySql or PSQL.

Anything else is pretty much irrelevant.

Another thought that crossed my mind is that current Amarok releases don't
really have serious performance issues overall. Mine feels snappy. So it
feels like a bit of anti-promotion to make an article about this.

--
Mark