Problems using shared MySQL database

Guðlaugur Jóhannesson gudlaugu at raunvis.hi.is
Wed Nov 22 09:58:21 UTC 2006

I am trying to set up a shared MySQL database so I can have the same ratings
wether I listen on the desktop or the laptop.  It was working perfectly, I
shared the music library through NFS on my lan and through sshfs when on the
run.  Then all of a sudden (I have no recollection of what made this happen
since I do not use amarok daily and have been going through many upgrades and
changed laptops) it stopped working.  I let the desktop build the database
and then point the laptop to the very same database, using the same
authentication.  That used to give me a collection on both machines, but now
it only gives the collection on the desktop.

In trying to debug this, I let the laptop build the database yesterday and
found that it created a collection that did not interfere with the desktops
collection.  After looking at the database, I gather that the songs are
stored in the table uniqueid.  In that table there is a column named deviceid
that currently has two values in my case.  What is the purpose of this
column, and why are all my songs listed twice now?

After reading the collection with the laptop on the lan, I figured that I
would be able to use that collection also in the office, but I was wrong.
The collection does not show up.

I am using amarok version 1.4.4 on openSUSE 10.1 (the packages from guru).
Both desktop and laptop are using the same version, allthough there are two
different architectures (x86_64 on the desktop but i586 on the laptop).  I
can play all the songs in the library if I manually drag them to the
playlist.

Let me know if there is more information I can give.
--
Guðlaugur Jóhannesson
Tel: +354 849 8405