Feature Request: separate me from MS Media Player...

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Nov 5 16:33:53 UTC 2006

Matt wrote:
> The second thing that would be great is if there was an option to
> group music by "Album Artist" (TPE2) instead of "Artist".  The reason
> here is that all dance/techno/remix/soundtrack albums tend to have
> different "Artists" for each track, whereas the "Album Artist" field
> will be the name on the album (i.e. Fatboy Slim, etc.).  Right now I
> have like 50 albums under "Various Artists", and all of my
> miscellaneous MP3s are scattered about (however, I can get to those
> by pointing amarok at the "Misc" directory, which they live in).
>
> Let me know what you think! -Matt

+1

I would really like to see some sort of heirachical configuration
options such that you could say "I want 3 levels and for each level this
is what to display" and allow you to write simple statments e.g.
if(!empty(TAG)) echo TAG; else echo "Various Artists"; etc.

That way you could get what you and I both want - Album artist handling,
althogh, if I'm honest, I've used TPE4 for this: "Interpreted, remixed,
or otherwise modified by" as most of my albums like this are DJ Mixes
etc. tho' I could easily convert my collection needs be! For my Oggs
I've got COMPILATION_ARTIST=xxx.

For both MP3 and Ogg I have and also a tag that says
MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMARTISTID=89ad4ac3-39f7-470e-963a-56509c546377 as per
the MusicBrainz guidelines (MP3 has a comment TXXX with Key: MusicBrainz
Album Artist Id and value as above).

Anyway, I guess you would have to add some additional concepts for
storage in the Amarok DB (e.g. Composer, Album Artist, Performer,
Symphony etc. etc.) and ways of matching these to the ID3/Vorbis
Comments etc. then a nice way to flexibly define your heirarchy and
everyone would be happy.

Col.