USB hdd support

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed May 31 12:52:39 UTC 2006

Max--

Haven't looked at this fully yet, as I'm just glancing at it before I head out
the door, but a couple of things I saw off the bat:

User-defined labels:  the concept of labeling is something we've kicked around
for a while now.  This would solve problems people have right now where
there's a situation like having "Paul Simon" and "Simon and Garfunkel" (not
the greatest example, but you get the picture).  In many cases the user wants
to keep those artist tags in the file, but be able to find it by looking for
Paul Simon.  A label that could be assigned dynamically to tracks and contain
a subset of user-chosen items would be great (think of Gmail's labels).  If
you come up with a good way to do labeling, then you could not only have
labels for songs, but you could automagically create labels that cover
available parts of the collection and use the functionality for either.  So
as you think about device labels, keep song labels in mind too.

ATF and dynamic collection:
You are correct that ATF associates a unique value with a file to keep track
of it, even if amaroK is closed, without requiring services to be constantly
on and watching file changes (have fun reinventing the wheel, Gnome
multimedia SoC hacker wannabe).  What you got wrong is that the
file's "primary key" as it were is not the absolute file name/URL.  After
all, this is what can get inconsistent!  Relying on the URL would solve
nothing whatsoever.  The file's primary key is an 8-character randomly
generated string embedded in the file's metadata.  This is then used to
figure out where files moved around to, and to update the absolute file
name/URL in the database.  How you'd use this with dynamic collections is
probably to have the device identifier as you mentioned, and then have ATF
lookups return not just the URL but the device identifier as well.

--Jeff