a road map for 2.0

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Sat Jun 10 14:33:40 UTC 2006

I posted a possible road map for development over the next ~year on
the wiki. Basically I was just putting together ideas we talked about
at K3M and in IRC.

Its at:
http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/Road_map_for_2.0
Devs should feel free to expand on the road map or add alternatives.

And for those that can't be arsed to open the wiki:

One possible road map for 2.0:
*Work continues on 1.4 in trunk. People who want to can work on
Gabór's 2.0 branch.
*At about 1.4.4, trunk is copied into a seperate branch. The Qt 3 to
Qt 4 scripts are run on trunk and it is made into a compilable state.
*Make trunk somewhat functional with Qt 4 and kdelibs4, copying in
work from the Gabór's 2.0 branch (such as ThreadWeaver and
Multitabbar)
*Remove KDE dependencies. Doing so will allow the #amarok crowd to
continue testing SVN trunk (the kdelibs4 dep would stop most of them
probably) and give us a solid base to develop from and on multiple
platforms. The output of kconfig_compiler could be commited to SVN or
made part of the tarball creation process. We might have to hand code
some stuff to emulate KConfigXT still during this interm period.
===Woohoo, 2.0===
:*Refactor CollectionDB, Playlist and the Engine to create the
well-designed "core."
:*Add nifty features that take advantage of the core. Consult usabilty experts.
:*A Phonon engine with a KDE4 dependency could be created at this
point. Actually any of the plugins could continue to depend KDE.
:*Perhaps have some Qt-only beta releases.
*As KDE 4 matures, re-add the KDE dependency. Take advantage of Solid etc.
*Amarok 2.0 tarballs are given to distros along with the KDE 4
tarballs and it is officially launched the same day as KDE 4.