umounted drive makes collection disappear

Peter C. Ndikuwera pndiku at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 10:18:53 UTC 2006

I have the same problem with my NFS-mounted music server.

What I did was to disable "Watch folders for changes" in the
collection configuration dialog.

Then, every once in a while, I click on "Tools | Update Collection"
when I know I've added music to my NFS share.

Peter

On 12/9/06, Gregory Kuhlmann <kuhlmann at cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using amarok 1.4.4 (built Nov 27, 2006), installed as a debian
> package on my x86 laptop.  I use mysql 14.12 (Distrib 5.0.27) as the
> database.
>
> My 90GB or so of mp3s are stored on an external USB hard drive that I only
> mount when listening to music.
>
> My problem is that if I forget to mount the drive before starting amarok
> or if I accidentally forget to close amarok before unmounting, my
> collection must be updated from scratch.  It doesn't happen a lot, but
> when it does, I'm in for about 30-45 minutes of wait time before the
> collection update completes.
>
> In the short term, I'll probably just write a wrapper script around
> amarok to make sure that I don't keep making this mistake-- something
> like:
>
> sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt && amarok ; sudo umount /mnt
>
> or is there a better solution?  Should I treat my external drive as a
> 'media device'?  Anyone else have a similar setup and run into similar
> issues?
>
> Thanks.
> Greg

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room" - The
President (Dr. Strangelove)