Only xine? why?

Torgil Svensson torgil.svensson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 16:33:09 UTC 2006

> CDDA/CDDB isn't a universal feature - for example, since the helix
> engine (one of the 2 actually recommended engines) has no capability to
> play CDs, so right now it doesnt make sense to us to pull cddb UI
> elements outside the engine config.

I can see the point in that CD-reading phase is engine specific since
it transferring audio data, but I also see a point in using things
like the CDDB database lookup from a different library without have to
make a new engine for that or reimplement that code for every engine.

> As for the todo list, yes, I would agree.  However, I dont think cddb
> support is essential to reenabling the engine - resume on startup is
> fairly simple and can be knocked off quickly.  Crossfade is a different
> matter.

Thanks, now it's crystal clear what the state is and what has to be
done. At least there isn't any unspecified framework instability
issues (WMA put aside) or potential political issues to overcome.

> I'm happy to work with you or anyone else to get the engine to a state where
> we think it is worth enabling.

I'm happy if I can help, currently i'm trying to fiddle with my dev
environment and gstreamer in general (for multiple purposes). To
contribute to amarok I predict I'll (in addition to some creative
idea) have to familiarize with the letter Q:

amarok$ find . -iregex ".+\.cpp$\|.+\.h$"  | xargs sed 's/[^qQ]//g' |
tr -d '\n' | wc -c
35906

//Torgil