Amarok Live revival!

Kuba Serafinowski zizzfizzix at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 20:50:27 CEST 2010

Hi folks!

As it's pretty easy to build liveCDs (as well as thumb drive and VM images)
with SUSE Studio, I've been trying to revive Amarok Live (
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Amarok_Live).
I'd appreciate any input on it now, my proposal is to name it Amarok Alive,
since it's a heir and 'A' fits well with Amarok, and all, you know;) But
there's that amaroklive.com domain, so maybe you'd suggest to stick to the
old name?

What I have currently:
* Amarok Alive Stable (openSUSE 11.2 w/ KDE 4.4.3 base and Amarok 2.3.1) -
.iso around 350MiB
* Amarok Alive Unstable (same base, Amarok from current git) - .iso slightly
smaller around 345MiB

Both versions use xine backend for now, all codecs are included, phonon-vlc
backend is available also, but not set as default 'cause with pretty much
same setup here I get frequent crashes in dbus.

Now what is planned:
* get some music (properly licensed) on it
* more branding in places

After you give me some suggestions on the name I will setup a wiki site
where ideas and everything else can be added.

What is needed for sure is some hosting, ftp/http as well as torrent if it's
possible, any suggestions? (Maybe I could host it on kollide? Though I don't
have an account.)

Cheers,
Kuba