New attempt of an Alpha release

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Sat Feb 6 13:05:17 GMT 2021

Sorry for being a bit slow these days, RL getting in the way...

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 at 17:10, Pedro de Carvalho Gomes <pedrogomes81 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Myriam and Heiko! Here are few comments:
>
> * About the DB, I suggest the following text: "Mysql embedded has been
> discontinued, so will be MariaDB embedded in a near future. So the
> upcoming 3.0 version will see a port to a new DB backend;"
>
> * the new scripting engine does not use QML at the moment. But it
> probably will in the future because many features from Qt4 are not
> present in QJSEngine. For example, it does not export QT widgets. Thus
> scripts that contained windows or menus can't be exhibited. Using QML
> here would be the obvious alternative. But imposes big changes in the
> existing scripts.

> On 2021-02-04 12:08, Heiko Becker wrote:
> > Thanks! A few notes:
> >
> > * Not entirely sure how to phrase that best to avoid confusion, but
> > there were *no* changes inside Amarok to discontinue support for MySQL
> > embebbed. If you still have a version with it, it should work. Or if
> > you want, with a full blown MySQL database server.
> >
> > * "The upcoming 3.0 version will see a port to a new DB backend;"
> >
> > To my knowledge, that's not (yet) true. Due to the aforementioned
> > removal of the embedded lib from MySQL (and possibly from Mariadb in
> > the future as a consequence) this would certainly be welcome. I heard
> > somebody talk about working towards SQLite, which would also easily
> > work in flatpaks, but probably comes with performance pains at least
> > with huge collections. Anyway I haven't heard anything of that since
> > quite some time.
> >
> > * The new scripting engine does indeed use QML, but Pedro is the
> > better person to talk to about this.
> >
> > * Qt5/Qt4 looks nicer than QT5/QT4, is the official style by the QtC
> > and would also be consisten with the usage in the first sentence.

I rephrased it to the following:

- Amarok now depends on MariaDB embedded, since MySQL embedded was
discontinued. If you still have MySQL embedded, this will continue to work,
as does a full MySQL Server, of course. Unfortunately we need to be
prepared for MariaDB discontinuing the embedded version as well, and we are
considering a port to a new DB backend;

- the script engine has been ported to Qt5's QJSEngine. Sadly the lack of
features from Qt4's QScriptEngine makes the port limited, so there
currently are not many scripts that are compatible. It's likely that a
whole new scripting engine (using QML) will replace the current
implementation.

I will publish this later today.

Regards, Myriam

--
Pronouns: she/her
Proud member of the Amarok and KDE Community: