New attempt of an Alpha release

Heiko Becker heirecka at exherbo.org
Thu Feb 4 11:08:37 GMT 2021

On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 16:56:42 CET, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Please everyone, have a look at the article on the web page, the draft can
> be found here:
>
> https://amarok.kde.org/en/node/889

Thanks! A few notes:

* Not entirely sure how to phrase that best to avoid confusion, but there
were *no* changes inside Amarok to discontinue support for MySQL embebbed.
If you still have a version with it, it should work. Or if you want, with a
full blown MySQL database server.

* "The upcoming 3.0 version will see a port to a new DB backend;"

To my knowledge, that's not (yet) true. Due to the aforementioned removal
of the embedded lib from MySQL (and possibly from Mariadb in the future as
a consequence) this would certainly be welcome. I heard somebody talk about
working towards SQLite, which would also easily work in flatpaks, but
probably comes with performance pains at least with huge collections.
Anyway I haven't heard anything of that since quite some time.

* The new scripting engine does indeed use QML, but Pedro is the better
person to talk to about this.

* Qt5/Qt4 looks nicer than QT5/QT4, is the official style by the QtC and
would also be consisten with the usage in the first sentence.

Best regards,
Heiko