AppImage bundles to revive Amarok

G.raud graud at gmx.com
Sat Nov 21 22:31:11 GMT 2020

Hello,

Amarok disappeared from some major Linux distributions like Debian &
Ubuntu.  The primary cause is its dependance on Qt4/KDE4 while the
distros have moved to Qt5/KDE5 (as a side note I don't understand why
the older toolkits are not kept around in parallel to the newer ones
even if there is no bug support anymore: most simple apps written for
Qt3 or Qt4 will work just fine).

DigiKam, another Qt-based project, provides self-contained AppImages
(<https://appimage.org/>) bundles, so that the program can be run
without installing anything but the executable file (but in its case it
is rather to be able to install cutting edge versions of the toolkits
that the bundle is useful for).  I think providing an AppImage bundle
would make Amarok used (at least easily installable for non Qt
developpers) again, which could bring back some contributing
developpers.  I don't know if there are technical issues to solve to be
able to provide something like an AppImage.

I know that the latest unstable version is based on Qt5, but the problem
of having a system with an incompatible Qt version will remain (for
example if version 3.0 is released soon, some people might want to
upgrade to Amarok 3.0 while their system which they may not administrate
provides only Qt4), so why not provide a prebuilt AppImage (or anything
similar)?

NB. I am not subscribed to the list.