Regarding amarok.kde.org website

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue Jan 7 13:10:17 GMT 2020

Hi Niccolò,

sorry for the late reply, life got in the way.

FWIW: taking the discussion to the developer malign list instead of the
user support mailing list this was posted to...

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 at 06:12, Veggero Nylo <niccolo.venerandi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> There's an ongoing effort to make the kde.org website more modern and
> consistent in style. Amarok is one of the websites that should be ported to
> the new website and updated is some parts, e.g. the screenshot section
> currently states that 2.7 is the current stable version instead of 2.9.
> Since Amarok is currently deprecated until the porting is finished
> according to October's Apps update,

erm, Amarok was never part of the Apps, it has always been in Extragear,
and it is certainly not deprecated. Telling developers their product is
deprecated is not exactly the proper way to do it, it should be the other
way round, no?

> I thinking that maybe the best option could be to disable the
> amarok.kde.org website until the porting is finished, and then make the
> new version when the KF5 version is available to avoid putting resources in
> a product that's currently deprecated.
> What is your opinion on this?

How about leaving the website as it is for now? I don't know where you
checked, but 2.9 is the latest version specified, the screenshots have not
been changed because there were no UI changes done between versions. So if
it bothers you it says 2.7 instead of 2.9, change that?

As for the kf5 port: it is mostly done, and several distros already ship an
unofficial release, we simply don't have a finished version, but we
certainly should do a tech preview alpha just to get things rolling faster
again.

Currently we are faced with the big problem of MySQL embedded having been
deprecated upstream, and we need to make a substantial change for the
database, which is currently been decided upon.

So instead of removing the website which I strongly oppose, how about a
static page mentioning the latest 2.9 release with screenshot numbering
updated, and a link to kft5 master in git? Also worth mentioning would be
the rolling release distros who already ship the kf5 version.

Regards, Myriam
Protect your freedom and support the work of the FSFE:
http://www.fsfe.org
<http://www.fsfe.org/>