New release

Pedro de Carvalho Gomes pedrogomes81 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 08:51:33 BST 2020

Hi all,

I think the main reason for the delay of a new version is now
concluded (or at least in a decent state), which was the port to KF5.
There's also one major issue, which is the deprecation of mysql
embedded.

I went after Mariadb's plans for the embedded library. I couldn't find
any mention to it. Only references to 10.5 series mirroring Mysql 8,
which is the version that dropped Mysql embedded. However Mariadb 10.4
contains the embedded library, and is supported until June 2024 (see
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/new-and-old-releases/)

I wonder if Amarok could release a version with dependency to Mariadb
<= 10.4. Then we prioritize the port to the alternative to
mariadb/mysql. This would bridge the 2-year gap from the previous
release. Also it would bring Amarok back to distros that are not
shipping it because it doesn't have an official KF5 versions (namely
Ubuntu).

Cheers,

Pedro