Soft/hard dependency requirements post 2.8 - input, please

0inkane 0inkane at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 29 21:24:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

as apackager (Chakra) who's subscribed to this mailing list I guess I
can help answering your question:
libcdio is unfortunately not ABI compatible (I  guess you're interested
in ABI, not API), see http://upstream-tracker.org/versions/libcdio.html
. I can't tell you what other distribution package that depends on it,
for us the following "applications" depend on it:
clementine  gst-plugins-ugly  gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins  mplayer
mplayer-vaapi  vcdimager  vlc  xbmc

As a community distro which uses a semi-rolling release schedule, it's
easier to just recompile everything than to try shipping both, but  I
guess for distributions with a fixed time schedule like *buntu that is
probably different. They might however know whether they can ship both
at the same time.

Best regards,

Fabian Kosmale