Amarok GIT Segmentation Fault amarokcore_automoc.o

Kevin Funk krf at gmx.de
Thu Jul 7 11:30:46 CEST 2011

Thursday 07 July 2011, Lukas Sandström <luksan at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 09:31, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 02:30, kat amsterdam <kat.amsterdam at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Dear Amarok Dev,
> >> I have been trying several time to get Amarok to build from GIT so I can
> >> test the new iPod support written by Bart Cerneels and pay you guys and
> >> gals a bug bounty of 250 euro. For some reason the GIT version will not
> >> build. I've tried on my ubuntu 10.04 x86_64 - failed on ffmpeg. Tried
> >> packages, built it myself amarok would not build.
> >> So I figured the issue was with 10.04 so I grabbed my 11.04 i686
> >> machine. When I build I get the following segmentation fault in
> >> amarokcore_automoc.o Generating moc_BookmarkPopup.cpp
> >> [  0%] Built target amaroklib_automoc
> >> [  0%] Built target amarokcore_automoc
> >> [  0%] Building CXX object
> >> src/core/CMakeFiles/amarokcore.dir/amarokcore_automoc.o
> >> Segmentation fault
> >> make[2]: *** [src/core/CMakeFiles/amarokcore.dir/amarokcore_automoc.o]
> >> Fout 139
> >> make[1]: *** [src/core/CMakeFiles/amarokcore.dir/all] Fout 2
> >> make: *** [all] Fout 2
> >> ****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.
> >> Any suggestions on how to get past these errors?
> >> --
> >
> > hmm, that is not an error I'm familiar with. Hope someone recognises it.
>
> If it is the compiler that is segfaulting it is probably a hardware
> error. Try running some memory diagnostics.
> Compiling the Linux kernel is also a good memory stress-test. Try
> removing memory modules one at a time and see if the problem
> disappears.

Hey there,

yep, that definitely sounds like some more serious issue.

I'd do the following
* Check that you're getting out of memory during compilation. (The OOM-Killer
might give you segfaults)
* Upgrade/Downgrade your compiler (afair there were some regressions in a
particular gcc version)
* Check your installed memory

Greets, and thanks for the bucks ;)

--