Hi: Regarding VSXu Applet

Dinesh saidinesh5 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 22:58:51 CET 2011

Hi,

thanks for the immediate reply.

2011/2/21 Daniel Dewald <Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de>

> Hi,
>
> Take my good advice and don't put any more work into this. Phonon's Audio
> Data
> Output is not working in 90% of all phonon Backends and from what I've
> heard
> so far will not be working in any future. I've already designed and
> implemented a working OpenGL Amarok applet and realized a spectrum analyzer
> with it. After that I was waiting for the backends to finally get the Data
> Output working and stabilized.. they won't. I tried begging and complaining
> and even tried to force the issue.. nobody is interested in this kind of
> work.
> Without the phonon audio data output all the work becomes meaningless. You
> should have talked with the vsxu maintainer (or the Amarok devs) and he
> would've told you.

Markey said that the Phonon issues have been fixed in the VLC backend, but
don't exactly know if it is the same issues that have blocked your work.

> Also vsxu is currently not yet in a state where it is
> likely to be put into any distribution. As long as its not distributed
> properly an vsxu applet is not likely to be placed into the official
> Amarok

trunk (This however is a problem that could be solved in a small time
> window).

I think this can be fixed too.. isnt it?

> Sorry to kill the dreams but I've already put a tremendous amount of work
> into
> this and all for nothing.

This really can't be an option for me because I ve already submitted this
for my course project, and so dropping this out means a really hard time for
me :(

So may be if you can enlist the issues, then I can try fixing them one by
one..

> If you want to display any other (non audio data
> related) OpenGL stuff just give me a call. My applet might need some
> over-howl
> but was working the last time I tried it. However it uses quite some hacks
> because the Amarok context area does not support OpenGL pre se (because its
> not an opengl applet area).

You mean rendering it onto a label right? I was looking onto it, and was
actually looking for other alternatives to this. Also was searching for
something that doesn't use a timer to refresh the QGLWidget... (something
like vsync, but apparently we don't have such an option - even the Gluon
guys use a timer)

Cheers,
Dinesh