UI: How to make MusicBrainz dialog shine, or noob needs help.

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:38:31 CEST 2010

> > What do you mean? That new data should be fetched only from single
> provider?
> > Or there should be something like "Check All" functionality?
> I mean "Check All".

It could be done like in gmail -
http://en.onsoftware.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/gmail-04.png - but
offering options: Update empty fields, Close match only (also the closest,
if 2 is almost identical), from MusicBrainz, from MusicDNS,  none.

> Do you mean I should use TagDialog instead of separate MBTagger
> dialog? Then there are to 2 ways to implement It: left single-track
> search only (It's ridiculous and pointless), or completely rebuild
> TagDialog.

I'll get a bit longer (and offtopic) here. There is a little problem in
naming: *tags* in last.fm == *labels* in Amarok, *tags* in Amarok == ???
last.fm. In my last replay I used *tags* instead of *labels*, talking in
Amarok speech.
Thats why I'm going to use *meta data* in here. Lets split possible meta
data in 2 groups:

* Objective - If track has title, artist, album, year - thats it, you
can't/should't/would't change that.
Such data should to be set up in Tagger dialog (as it is getting implemented
now). It will be later used to find additional meta data.

* Aditional/Subjective - genre, tags, moods, labels etc. There a many places
(like last.fm, amazon) where you can find it. Usually messed up in a single
pot and mutch more than user needs.
As a rational user having 1-10k+ collcetion whats to be able to find right
tracks, not only by title, but also "party" "relaxing" "beat" etc, without
getting great mess in Labels database.

One of the ways to accomplish this is to get all candidate meta info as
labels. Then add it if
1) same exists in DB (there is candidate "Rock" and "Rock" is used to label
at least 1 other track)
2) similar exist in DB (there is candidate "rocck" and "Rock" is used to
label at least 1 other track, add it as "Rock")
3) There is no similar Label, nor ban - Ask user what to do: Add or Ban it

Going back to topic, by saying "go to tagging dialog..." I had in mind more
or less "Aditional/Subjective" part. It is separate task, and I don't know
where is the best place to have such functionality, as it hardly fits into
Autotagger interface.

Cheers,
Lukas