Moving classes into core-implementations

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Mon Mar 29 22:05:47 CEST 2010

On 3/29/2010 2:20 PM, Maximilian Kossick wrote:
> I do not think moving *everything* in Amarok's source tree into
> core-implementations. It will end up being just another dumping
> ground.

The directory tree is laid out to correspond to the sections in core/.
How does it become a dumping ground if the only things in there are what
are implementing the interfaces and classes in that section of core/?

FWIW, I don't have plans to move anything else in there. When services
get divested of their GUI integration (Erik Hovland is starting work on
that) then it makes sense to put e.g. ServiceBase into core/ since we
definitely want services to be available across frontends and platforms.
How much of services should then go into core-implementations could be
discussed.

> In particular, stuff like AudioCdCollection is definitely not core, as
> it is going to be completely useless on e.g. mobile devices.

Well right, that's why it's not in core/, it's in core-implementations/.
When building a GUI/platform you can pick and choose which of the
implementations you want to build in.

(BTW, it may be useless on mobile devices, but it may be useful in
half-mobile devices like netbooks...at some point if there's interest an
Amarok Netbook Interface, like the Plasma Netbook Interface, may make
some sense.)

--Jeff