[Amarok] b0503f5 Move Playlists back into Meta.

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 19:53:35 CEST 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 19:21, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sure there are more arguments to be made, but the biggest one is
>> more abstract:
>> Playlists should not be treated as a second class citizen in Amarok by
>> keeping them out of the true hard of amarok's core: Meta and
>> Collection. It's as much a technical issue: Playlists not supported by
>> QueryMaker; as a social one: new collection implementations (MD)
>> lacking a decent PlaylistProvider.
>
> I have not been a part of the recent version of this discussion and I
> am not sure I really want to get involved (as I dont have a strong
> opinion either way), but I do have one question. Is there a particular
> reason why playlists should not be able to do proper synchronization
> and so on without being part of the Meta namespace?

No.
But the reason there is no (working) synchronization yet (the classes
are there) is social: I had to go and fix UMS podcasts, UMS
UserPlaylists, iPod and MTP still needs a lot of work. Unlike work on
Collection I have to go in an do all the work myself, with very little
to reuse from other people.

This just can't continue. If the solution is forcing playlists under
peoples noses then so be it.

> As for the "true [heart] of amaroks core", I surely see playlists as a
> part of this, even if they have their own namespace.
>
> About not having playlist support in QueryMaker and collections not
> having PlaylistProviders, is it fair to assume that this makes sense
> to have for all collections?
>
> - Nikolaj

I'm a bit unsure what you mean but I'll try to answer what I think you meant.

Playlist support in QM is optional just like you are using
ServiceQueryMaker without support for all the fields in QM. And since
Playlist is a result, it's as simple as not returning any results. In
practice though playlist queries will only be started though
PlaylistProvider. So unless you have registered a PlaylistProvider
there will be none.

As a side-note: There is an issue with PlaylistFileProvider loading
playlist files found in collection folders causing huge delays at
startup. If SqlCollection would have it's own, integrated,
UserPlaylistProvider there would be no need for PlaylistFileProvider
to load those, instead it would be handled completely internally
though SqlCollection's use of CollectionScanner.

Bart