Remote control feature on Amarok

Milot Shala milot.shala at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:45:20 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think this is a great idea!

Thank you :)

> But is there a standard interface/API out there Amarok could support,
> so other remotes could be used? I know many computers from Dell/Hp
> these days come with little media remotes, and so do apple computers.

I don't know about the standard interfaces, we have to look at this, would
be time saving!

> Not to mention that there area  myriad of Android and iPhone apps for
> controlling itunes, shouldn't it be possible to hook into that
> interface so we get access to a wider selection of possible remotes?

When I bought a Nexus One phone I've seen several applications acting as a
remote control for media players, the one that I used was VLC Remote for
Android (http://code.google.com/p/android-vlc-remote/), you have to start
VLC HTTP server in order to control VLC using this app and based on this I
am supposing that there a standard doesn't exist, but we have to check the
code.

In the example above I have created a very small application for Nokia 5800.

If any standard for remote controlling media players exist, IMO we have to
think on providing an interface for remote controlling Amarok, in the
meanwhile we can create some applications for Symbian, Maemo and Android,
some may say "why only these three", because:

1. Symbian/Maemo are Qt
2. I've started messing with Android development on my daily work but I am
very new to this

> Casey

Regards,
--