Towards Amarok Mobile: Beginning separation

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Mar 19 22:49:43 CET 2010

Hi guys,

With commit 316911d22 I have taken my official first step towards Amarok
Mobile  :-)

This was discussed on IRC a while back, but for those not aware, the
idea is to reuse as much code as possible...which basically means that
two things are needed:

1) The ability to control which parts to build on a mobile system
2) Separation of GUI/logic

I'll be pestering several of you individually in regards to #2. However,
I want to lay out my thoughts on #1.

My first goal is to get several of the services working. There are
already music clients on Maemo; there aren't any Ampache clients or
Last.fm clients. So I figure a good way to get established is to provide
what's not already there, and then fill out the functionality as possible.

To that end, some things that are definitely needed are Meta and the
Memory collection. Having spent some time (and several false starts)
looking at this problem, I've decided to try doing the following:

1) Move the bits outside of Meta that Meta depends on into Meta.
* See commit 316911d22 for the first step in that regard.

* My next idea is to move Collection/CollectionLocation into meta/. They
don't have other dependencies, and this would leave collection/ as a
place for actual collections and helpers, while keeping all of the meta
information (including the collection metadata) in meta/.

2) Rejig the structure of meta/ and the CMakeLists; make building
different parts optional.
* If meta/ is reorganized it should be possible to built, or not build,
different parts of meta based on CMake flags. This way on Maemo I could
e.g. not build the File bits and thus not have a TagLib dependency at first.

3) Make Meta a library.

4) Repeat step 2 for collections and turn some of them into libraries
(such as the memory collection).

That's my current plan...if anyone sees gaping flaws or takes umbrage
with any of the above, do let me know.

--Jeff