The new splash screen

Pierre Dumuid pmdumuid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 15:55:29 CET 2010

>> Is there any chance the SVG / source for the new splash screen could be
>> placed somewhere?
>>
>> Also, I am rather curious at the font used in the amarok logo.  I
>> noticed that the "a" is a different width to the "m" which is different
>> to the "ar" and the "K"..  I've seen the logo elsewhere and know this
>> has been around for quite a while, but is that really desired?
>>
> How many logos have you seen with a fixed-width font? Maybe some
> computer companies in the 80s. :D

Umm, Actually most of them! I started thinking of brand names off the
top of my head, and google'd their logos:

Fixed:* *Google,facebook, slashdot, digg, intel, abc, ubuntu, microsoft,
Fixed except for separation of words: amazon.com,openSUSE,
redhat,CentOS, OpenOffice.org, Electronic Arts
Mostly fixed (first letter slightly different): Yahoo
Not fixed: ebay, The Sims

So from my tally, ebay must be the only company of all those logo's
who's design is still from the 80's? :)

Also, wikipedia says it was renamed from amaroK to Amarok in June 2006,
but the logo still shows amaroK.

Pierre