Depend on Qt4.6 - Yay or Nay?

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Sat Jun 5 22:05:15 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 21:49, Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On šeštadienis 05 Birželis 2010 19:21:38 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 17:54, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hey devs,
>> >
>> > It's been 4 days of virtual silence regarding this issue...
>> >
>> > Before reverting Ralf's commit that is currently failing our
>> > continuous integration server, or installing the little hack Thomas
>> > suggested, lets come to a consensus for Qt 4.6.
>> >
>> > From the extreme lack of "I can't build!" complaints (I've seen one,
>> > and he wasn't a developer), we all obviously have Qt 4.6 installed and
>> > so do most of our git users. (or of course no one but me has built
>> > Amarok in 4 days).
>>
>> We can switch as soon as KDE 4.5 is release. This is our usual way of
>> changing Qt versions. As long a not all distros ship KDE SC 4.4.x,
>> there is no possibility to switch. Keep in mind that Debian stable
>> doesn't without activating additional repositories...
>
> Current Debian stable (Lenny) barely had any packages required to build stable
> Amarok 2.x even at the time it was released. Lenny is KDE 3 based after all.
> As for KDE 4.5 dep, I would be rather disappointed if Amarok required the
> latest KDE SC (4.5) as soon as it got released.

I never said that. We usually only change the Qt version when the next
major KDE SC is released. Since we currently depend on
kdelibs/kdebase-runtime 4.3 and Qt 4.5, the next dependency will be
kdelibs/kdebase-runtime 4.4 and Qt 4.6.

So we will not switch to Qt 4.6 until KDE 4.5 is released

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org