New experimental toolbar by Thomas Luebking

Enrico Ros enrico.qt at email.it
Sun Jan 31 19:43:17 CET 2010

On Sunday 31 January 2010 18:54:24 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> I'm no fan of either version :-\
>
> - In general this triggers a misuse (users _will_ try to point and click
> the tiny icons (esp. with the second attempt) run a usertest if you don't
> trust me ;-)

I sense you're right ;-)

> - Ericos original suggestion somehow "breaks" the horizontal layout.

Well, you know, it's like "centering the prev" and "centering the next"
labels, like {spacer, prev, spacer} current {spacer, next, spacer } for qt
layouts or custom text rendering centered at 17, 50, 83 percent.

> - Both introduce at least one "inverted" "icon next to text" toolbuttons
> what looks weird.
>
> - Also this interferes with the drag feature (esp. those sunken icons)

A lot.

> If we can skip the hook-arrows, i've attached a mock for a different
> direction (but i think we'd also need to adjust the look of the progress
> slider to get the entire area back less "heavy" - i'f you're interested,
> i'll implement this and seek for a "lighter" slider appearance)

You keep on blowing my mind with original proposals ;-) and I always like
them. Will this design be compatible with the 'scrolling' text we discussed
before?
+1 for going with this variant!

Enrico