New experimental toolbar by Thomas Luebking

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:47:06 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Dan Meltzer
> <parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How the fuck do I skip to the next song?
>
> That's actually one of the novel ideas there:
>
> Look at the texts near the left and right buttons at the sides. On the
> left side, it shows the previous track, and on the right side, it
> shows the next track. Simply clicking them makes them play.
>
> Admittedly, this comes with some discoverability issues, but this
> could be helped with tooltips, plus maybe an icon. Once you have
> discovered how it works, it feels very natural and nifty. Especially
> because you can directly tell the name of the track that will be
> played :)

I find that this takes many of the objections we had about the control
location originally (it's so far from the playlist) and multiples it
tenfold.  Now the mouse needs to wander all over the screen to
accomplish anything, instead of having one place where it can control
all parts of amarok playback.  Sure it looks fancy and cool, but it
makes using amarok a lot more work (and utterly ignores the feedback
we have gotten about the toolbar to this point)