what's your mood...?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Wed Feb 24 21:57:56 CET 2010

Hi,

While getting the moodbar rtl compatible for the slider i took a look at the
code ... =D

--> I should point out that i'm not really interested in this feature, so this
is just a proposal - i'm certainly not trying to push things, take away
anything from anyone or do long debates ;-P

If i got it right, the information (loudness, i suppose) is only encoded in
the color hue - the bar lengths are arbitrary and rather related to features
of the color than of the actual data.

If this is the case and intended,  i'd just paint the bars and overlay them
with a gloss, gradient or whatever (the attached mock is done this way. the
"mood" is just a gradient repitition.)

As you can see a bright gloss will stress bright areas (for a gloss, direct
gradients have other outcomes)
In contrast, a dark gloss would support dark areas the same way.
(this would be much faster than the current ::setHue() / ::drawPoint()
implementation and we could easily invoke the current color scheme)

Another thing is that I'd suggest to make the moodbar monochromatic.
As a blank user, I was pretty confused and didn't see any relation between the
tune and the bar (until I inspected the code)

This way it will become much more obvious how to read the moodbar (as the hue
wraps around and the faked bar length does the rest, while it's connected to
the value in the proposal) - the user would just pick a color for the moodbar.
(It would be less ...colorful, though ;-)

Cheers
Thomas