Pushing UI changes

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 16:56:53 CET 2010

Hi Thomas,

I'm sending this email, not on behalf of the whole Amarok Development
Squad (because I haven't talked to everyone), but on behalf of
developers who have been discussing the recent changes in git master.

We appreciate the work and enthusiasm that you're putting into
overhauling the visual look of Amarok, and we're happy that the
toolbar---a sore spot that we've always wanted to improve---is finally
getting the attention it deserves. However, as you have probably
noticed, your recent pushes have caused quite the post-commit
discussions on the mailing list. We feel that the discussions that
we've been having after-the-fact tend to go in circles don't lead to
any sort of resolution. As you probably noticed, we all have strong
opinions on this stuff, so no one wants to let go :)

In light of the above, we'd like to ask for you to work with us to
make this development process easier and to minimize the bikeshedding
that is happening *after* features are committed, leading nowhere.
What this means is----we'd like you to create Merge Requests for
commits that affect the GUI. This will allow us to discuss the changes
before they hit master. Commits have "inertia"---once they are in, it
takes much more work to change them than before they are pushed. So
moving the discussion to  before the push itself will make it easier
to discuss and change the commit as a result of the discussion. Of
course, commits that don't affect like the GUI (like your recent
pixmap-tiling one, which is great!) you should push directly to
master.

cheers,
leo