[Amarok] rtl awareness, bg gradient, prev/next watermarks +

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 11:30:00 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
> Am Monday 08 February 2010 schrieb Téo Mrnjavac:
>
>> Did you try with a slightly colored gradient maybe, or another pattern?
> I've tried a lot of things ;-) and they basically all fail on esp. the oxygen
> style It has a strong top light glow, why i e.g. had to make the gradient
> _really_ translucent, otherwise everything looks out of place.
>
> Sunken gradients didn't work for similar reasons as they either break the
> light model or just flatten that area (compensating the light)
>
> Personally i prefer color manipulation (in particular invasion...) but that's
> not the point :-)
>
> I think the main goal is to set the toolbar away from the lower area and this
> will always look dull as long as those rounded frames remain.
> (have a look at the top of the splitters, they trigger little jumps bedcause
> of the rounded adjacent area)
>
> What could (or rather should) be done is to invoke the bg color (the gradient
> runs to black what triggers the metallic look in leo's shot)

Gradient:

I think it might work out if it were much more subtle. Can we
experiment with that?

Buttons:

Sorry, but I think those "Prev/Next" buttons look like they came
straight from Star Trek. Can't we use something simple, like Enrico
had proposed? Simple is often more effective than design overkill.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer, Software Engineer at Collabora Ltd