Playdar Collection

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Thu Dec 16 14:22:44 CET 2010

On Thursday, December 16, 2010 01:44:15 PM Bart Cerneels wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:51, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > recently several people have noticed that our new "Playdar Collection"
> > is causing a slowdown in startup time. I'm wondering, should we not
> > default-disable this feature?
> >
> > 1) It causes unnecessary slowdown.
> > 2) Playdar itself is still Vaporware (as I hear), the original code
> > base is no longer maintained. So it's of little use right now. We
> > could still enable it in later versions.
> >

> > Thoughts?
>
> I would disable it regardless whether it has issues or not. Playdar is
> indeed not so mainstream that is would be useful to many people.
> Doubly so if it has issues, though the issues still need to be resolved.
>
> Stuffcorpse has created this branch that is perfectly suited:
> http://gitweb.kde.org/amarok.git/shortlog/refs/heads/rickc-pluginselection
> Not sure if we need it though, just disabling the service might be
> enough.

I agree, it's not very useful right now. It would be best to disable it via
Rick's new branch, but until that is merged post-2.4.0, I suggest disabling it
in the .desktop file so it doesn't get loaded at run-time (but  users who want
it can still enable it).

I have some plans for the service but it requires other software projects to
to fall into line and those aren't ready yet.

cheers,
leo

--
leo at kdab.com                                 KDAB (USA), LLC