Suggestion: UI keyword in subjects.

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sat Aug 7 19:23:24 CEST 2010

Am Saturday 07 August 2010 schrieb Jeff Mitchell:
> slider would be better, since you could both click to a certain position
> on the slider, and move it carefully to get exactly what you want.
Well, that's already present ;-P (scnr at all)

Ok - seriously, i'll post around a patch after the WE (like sunday night i
guess :)

Just random thoughts on

a) Lee's proposal:
---------
- such vertical slider is no option, since the toolbar is not 100px height
(and shouldn't be...) so it could never provide full precision (what is
important from what i understood in this thread)
- the "point button, click, point vSlider, click" approach is a bit cumbersome
since it requires the user to point and click twice before actually acting
- it also leaves no option to toggle mute, yesno? (except for separating long
and short clicks...)
- i don't like the idea of geometry/layout changes (in this context) since
amarok has a pretty static UI and while i'd love to change that in general, it
would then no more integrate with KDE at all (well, at least for the moment
;-)

b) Jeff requirements
----------
> 1) Radially clicking to change the volume needs to go.
> 2) Radially dragging to change the volume needs to go.
For what reason?
If the reason for 1) is to prevent accidentaly immense volume changes that is
to be addressed by preventing such :)

If you meant "exclusive radially..." cause it's too hard to use with some
input devices or for ppl. suffering from related disabilities, i (must, since
i don't know better) agree.

> 4) The volume percentage should always be displayed.
I don't agree.
a) It makes me snap the volume to 10*k or 2^k (yes, i'm sick =)
b) The precision of some percent regarding loudness is pretty limited
c) Do you really want to steer at the very important exact volume percent all
the time?
-> My POV is that a "precise" percentage hint on hover/change (as it is, just
maybe not as tooltip) should be entirely (and imho actually more then)
sufficient. (Since a "rough" indication by the dial/slider position and icon
is persistent)

Cheers,
Thomas