bittorrent support

Nanno Langstraat langstr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 18:57:43 CEST 2010

Soren Harward wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Nanno Langstraat <langstr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't need Amarok on Commodore 64, but this is getting a bit much, no?
>>

> Most of what you're seeing is Amarok's extensive use of shared
> libraries, unlike Firefox which is more self-contained:

Fair enough, but it's moot for "seldom-shared" libraries where Amarok is
usually the only running user.

The proposed BitTorrent client library would be a nice example of that.
And e.g. 'amarok_service_magnatunestore.so' is shared in name only.

--
So, taking a different way to measure: 'free -m'. The "-/+
buffers/cache" line changes by +- 106 MiB when I start/quit Amarok.

On the order of 100 MiB directly attributable to Amarok. Not something
that I'll storm the barricades for, but OTOH you might feel it's a
little overweight when just playing some .mp3 files in the background.

--
By the way, I now see that many Amarok parts are already loaded
dynamically, not directly with dlopen() but via KPluginLoader. For the

    Regards,
    Nanno