2.2 beta 2 reminder

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Mon Sep 14 10:07:15 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 09:52, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 2 big ticket issues I really want fixed before 2.2 is released
> (i addition to many of the bugs in bugzilla)
>
> First is my battle cry of "Sane default layouts for all". I already
> had a go or 2 at this without much success, but I am going to try to
> do it again, and in a way that avoids having to ship with a binary
> layout file at all.
>
> Secondly, I recently discovered a pretty bad regression in the
> querying of some services, especially Magnatune and Jamendo. One
> symptom is that if you enter a filter that does not match anything, it
> does not clear the tree as expected, but just keeps showing what was
> previous there. I am not sure of ehich change has caused this, but it
> is definitely not an issue that has existed for long.
>
> I had intended to work on some of this stuff over the weekend, but
> unfortunately my laptop fried itself before leaving friday...
>
> I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but my gut instinct right
> now tells me that our release plan is too ambitious and that forcing
> out 2.2 in time for Karmic will see us make too many compromises on
> the quality. I have heard some people argue that 2.2 master is
> currently more stable than 2.1.1 in any case and that we can always do
> a series of quick bug fix releases on top of 2.2, but I think we need
> to be careful with this strategy as 2.2.0 is what will get reviewed
> and which will need to win back users, 2.2.xbugfix  releases will not
> generate the same amount of interest.

Yes 2.2.0 is what will get reviewed first. And honestly I think we are
doing pretty good right now. Remember that the alternative is to give
Kubuntu and Fedora users 2.1 for another 6 months, which arguably is
less stable than git master right now and unarguably has way less
features people are waiting for.
We have another 2 weeks to work on the remaining nasty stuff. That's
plenty of time if we get our act together.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher