QtMultimedia

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Sep 5 10:34:44 CEST 2009

Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Lydia Pintscher<lydia at kde.org> wrote:
>> Heya folks :)
>>
>> I was asked to get feedback for a what-of situation from the Amarok team.
>> Imagine Phonon doesn't exist. What would we need from QtMultimedia?
>> Amarok has a playlist, this new API has one too; are they compatible?
>> Such stuff.
>
> Hmm, I don't see how the playlist is related to it all. But Amarok
> wouldn't need a new one. It could be potentially interesting to simple
> applications that want to get started quickly. [1]
>
> Anyway, If Phonon didn't exist, I'd like to have a system with an API
> like Phonon (ideally the same), but with reliable backends.
>

> [1]: "Create a simple media player application" also seems to be the
> goal of QtMultimedia, quoting the article.

It's rather silly though. If you want a simple media player application,
it's 5 lines of Phonon code, plus a QStringList that holds your "playlist".

I honestly fail to understand what is new, and why this is better than
Phonon (and as has been pointed out many times, the API has serious
problems too).

As Markey said, the Qt guys living up on their promise of maintaining
working backends for Phonon would truly be the ideal.

--Jeff