first run experience

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Thu Nov 12 21:30:28 CET 2009

Am Thursday 12 November 2009 schrieb Ian Monroe:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Maximilian Kossick
> > No collection? Amarok should default to scanning the XDG music dir. Is
> > that not working anymore?
>
> Takes a few minutes to run. Which I guess makes for a fine first-run
> experience, but there's also the "first 5 minutes" to think about.

I'd suggest to _not_ automatically pick the xdg path, but just suggest it
(ppl. could manage their music like whatever) and during the collection scan
there should be a small tour to show off the non obvious advances of amarok
(e.g. explain dynamic playlists, that and how you can attach to an xternal
mysql server., the internet services)
This could be realized by having the context view taking the entire lower
area, displaying the wp widgetoid and reference to amaroks wiki.
when the tour is over, the default layout sets up and the wp plasmet is the
only content of the context view, explaining (and example) that more thingens
can be added to this location.
When the user plays the first track, the wp starts doing it's normal business.

Oh, and there *shall* be a skip button for the tour ;-)

Cheers