Dynamic Playlist Simulating Entire Collection in Playlist

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Tue May 5 13:46:35 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Alejandro Wainzinger
<aikawarazuni at gmail.com> wrote:
> A user named Raylz in #amarok earlier was mentioning a use case that I
> think he currently really would have to dump the entire collection
> into the playlist to do.  It is as follows:
>
> The user wants to:
> - start listening to a song selected from the Collection Browser
> - see the songs contiguous to this song in the playlist (where
> contiguous = alphabetically next to)
> - be able to simply select and play a contiguous song for play
>
> Currently, the only way I can see to have this happen is to have the
> entire collection dumped into the playlist, and to look nearby on it.
>
> Possible solution:
>
> Have something similar to a dynamic playlist which loads the initial
> song the user chooses from the CB, and have the populate action use
> the criteria that it should pull in all albums of nearby artists
> (nearby meaning before alphabetically, and after, and a configurable
> number of artists away as a range).  This way, we limit the number of
> things in the playlist to being far from the entire collection, while
> effectively simulating the experience of playing through your entire
> collection alphabetically, and allowing you to repopulate by choosing
> another song, after which again nearby artists will be fetched and
> shown.
>
> I apologize if there is already a way to do this, and would like to
> know of it if so.  And if it is already possible, this might be a nice
> built-in type of dynamic playlist or biased playlist for users.  Also,
> I posted to the ML because Raylz has not yet, and it seemed a neat
> idea I didn't want to forget.

This is very similar to what Leinir suggested at the dev sprint:
A dynamic playlist that uses a "saved playlist" (new name for a
Meta::UserPlaylist) as a source to select tracks from.
This specific behavior will simulate the queue feature without the
need for the special actions, GUI and all the complications that come
with it. We've noticed this weekend that the queue feature frequently
blocked simple, clean and logical solutions we came up with.

This suggestion would used a Collection as it's source of tracks but
for the rest would work the same.

Bart