GSOC Project: Mass Tagging

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Thu Mar 19 00:47:09 CET 2009

2009/3/19 Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org>:

> Colin Kern wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed that one of your GSOC projects involves using the last.fm
>> fingerprinting software to mass tag music.  Unfortunately I'm not able
>> to apply for GSOC this year, however I have done some work on a
>> standalone program that does the same thing.  It's built in Qt and
>> uses TagLib, so should be no problem to integrate into Amarok.  Rather
>> than incorporating the code from last.fm's fingerprinting program into
>> it, I just have it run the program they distributed in their blog
>> (http://blog.last.fm/2008/03/25/fingerprinting-and-metadata-progress-report)
>> and parse the returned XML.  I've attached the source files and I hope
>> this will help whoever does work on this project get started.
>
> Colin,
>
> One of the things we're doing with 2.1 is we're splitting Amarok into
> two packages: the player, and utilities.  This will allow us to package
> helper utilities that do not require X11 (i.e. can run headless)
> separately so that they can be installed on machines without displays
> but that house music.
>
> This sounds like it could be a great fit, although we'd probably want to
> see if there's a way that their library could be used rather than simply
> running a separate process.
>
> If you're interested in working on getting this integrated (which would
> be the fastest way, as most of us are pretty busy already), hit us up on
> this list or contact me on irc (jefferai on freenode) and we can see
> what can be done.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Jeff -
you just replied but sent the mail to amarok-devel, even though it was
sent to amarok at kde.org. You should also probably CC him :)

btw - anyway you can disable your PGP email signing? It's really
annoying and hard to read your emails. Too much noise.

Cheers

--
Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/