forum

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Fri Jul 17 14:33:03 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 14:26, Ian Monroe<ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Lydia Pintscher<lydia at kde.org> wrote:
>> Heya folks,
>>
>> Leo and I have been talking about our forum and how it is by far not
>> as nice as it could be as the software is really meh. Using it is a
>> pita.
>
> How so? Spam?

- Spam
- It had been some really old beta version that has not been updated
for ages. Finally a few weeks ago someone did. Don't remember who.
Point being: We used a _really_ old crappy beta release of i-dont-know
how many releases back for ages. That's a security problem. And I
don't see it getting better.

> phpbb is scary due to their chequered security history, but maybe now
> its not so bad.

That was the old phpbb version. The team has mostly been replaced and
there have been no major security problems with the new major version
according to the dev I know.
So yes that did indeed change.

> Bringing over the last year of threads would be a nice way to keep continuity.

Jep.

> I guess I'm not so worried about losing all the users, since I always
> got the impression that most people registered just to participate in
> a thread or two so 99% of the accounts are probably dormant.

The fko team offered to migrate user accounts as well but weren't sure
how smooth that would be. They'd like a db snapshot for testing in
their test forum to find out about problems.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher